It seems that this coming Saturday, June 25 is going to be a real serious P.C. day. I got a google alert about a Progressive Conservative Lobster/Chicken dinner at the legion. i thought that Steve Harper had already cooked the progressive out of the conservative. i am also not sure how progressive the chickens and lobsters think this really is and whether they are caught in a conflict of interest.
- objective # 1 Who is the Jury? Which artists do they have targeted ?
- objective#2 Where are these open studios for the 15 “selected and relocated artists”?
- (i do have a personal issue with the terminology as almost all of my immediate family of my parents generation were both selected and relocated. They did not fare very well).
- objective # 3 It seems to me that this is somewhat backwards.
- objective #4& 6 are rather time sensitive as poor Parrsboro is soon to disappear and as for the marketing directorships, check out the web site and decide for yourself.
- objectives #5 and #6 would be laudable if there was not so much secrecy, self appointment, and community manipulation.
From The Parrsboro Creative web-site:
To create a vibrant artist and artisan community that will spearhead the rejuvenation and re-population of Parrsboro with established regional, national and international artists and artisans, working in a wide variety of disciplines.
Undertake a regional, national and international juried search for a minimum of 15 selected artists to represent the core artist community.
Artists will be encouraged to live in Parrsboro and create within an open studio environment and be an active member of their community.
To establish an opportunity for emerging artists to contribute to the goals of the association.
To work with the town of Parrsboro and a professional Marketing Director to realize the goals of the Association and market this project to consumers of artistic expression on a regional, national and international level.
To establish either independently or through association with other organizations, an educational component via the establishment of workshops, residencies, mentorship, apprenticeships and other educational opportunities designed to assist new or established artists in furthering their skills.
To assist in the development and promotion of other artistic endeavours, including competitions, festivals and exhibitions that will enhance and encourage the growth of a vibrant arts community in the town of Parrsboro and surrounding area.
Governments should not be allowed to have any control over the creative process. Censorship, favouritism, and cheapening is sure to follow. It is the very essence of government to control and manage.
i do not particularly like negativity so i would offer the following suggestions as to how to value the creative community, using the aforementioned money earmarked by the governments, which could help to create a welcoming environment for creative people. Below are a few ideas to use the funds:
- Fund environments to show, display and value the works that people do.
- Invest in contemporary work by its value and not by who made it.
- Invest in the infra-structure of the town and area by sponsoring things like a bakery, ethnic restaurants, and other such additions to the town. This would be to everybody’s benefit and would bring economic and job benefits. This is what government mandate should be about.
- Encourage the hotel/motel/restaurant industry to be open year round. Almost everybody is closed down from mid October to May. There is nowhere to stay and nowhere to eat and it is very hard to keep any momentum if there is not continuity./ Winter can be wonderful.
- Re-establish public transit i.e. bus service and if possible restoration of the ferry service. This would be to everybody’s benefit.
- Stop dumping raw sewage onto the beaches surrounding Parrsboro. If it needs to be done by 2020, then just do it now. This would be to everybody’s benefit.
These are just a few suggestions.